Muruve Crianza 2000, by Bodegas Frutos Villar, belonging to D.O. Toro has been awarded as Still Red Wine Best Buy Award 2004 in Brussels Wine Expo.
Over 80% of still wines purchased by large retailers in the Benelux region are priced at less than 6 euros, yet the level of consumer expectation, in terms of quality and diversity, is on the rise. Within this price bracket, which represents the core of the market, the quest for the best quality-price ratio has become an important strategic aim for all wine dealers – be they importers, wholesalers, retailers, cellar managers or restaurateurs.
Though within a different price range, the same trend holds true for sparkling wines, dessert wines and naturally sweet wines.
The Best Buy wines selected in Bruges on 26 March by a panel of acclaimed experts will enable professionals to discover wines that meet consumer expectations and that are sure to see huge commercial success due their excellent quality/price ratio.
On 26 March, in Bruges, a panel composed of six well-known wine professionals conducted blind tastings of 217 of these wines. The tasters, equipped only with each wine’s indicative price, were asked to judge the quality-price ratio of each wine. The wines with the highest marks were selected to become part of this year’s Best Buys.
– Fiona Morrison (Great Britain): Master of Wine
– Thierry Desseauve (France): Edition Director of "Revue du Vin de France" and "Revue Vinicole Internationale"
– Guido Francque (Belgium): Restaurateur – Sommelier and Writer
– Patrick Hourdeau (Luxembourg): Wine Buyer La Cave – Match supermarkets Europe
– Michel Polderman (the Netherlands): Managing Director "The Wine Info Site"
– Stefaan Wauters (Belgium): Wine Buyer – Delhaize Le Lion